A tasty way to cook grilled chicken with masala sauce.
1 ½-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into 1-inch cubes
6 -8 bamboo skewers , pre-soaked in water can substitute metal
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
½ inch piece gingerroot , peeled and minced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves , minced
1 jalapeno pepper , minced, with seeds for added heat
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup whipping cream
1) For Marinade: Combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper, black pepper, cinnamon, salt and ginger in a medium bowl or zip lock bag. Stir in chicken. Marinate for one hour.
2) Soak wooden skewers (can use metal) in water for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling.
3) Thread chicken on skewers and discard marinade.
For Sauce: (double)
1) Melt butter in a large deep skillet over med/low heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, cook 1 minute.
2) Stir in: coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala and salt.
3) Stir in tomato sauce, simmer 15 minutes.
4) Remove from heat until 5 minutes before chicken is done grilling.
5) Stir in whipping cream, simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
• Meanwhile: heat grill to medium high or heat broiler. Grill or broil chicken, turning until done and no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
• Remove chicken from skewers and set aside. Add to sauce, simmer 5 minutes, and serve over Basmati rice.